+ Reply to Thread

Default blending patch in drywall

installed a new light/fan in bathroom ceiling. patched the drywall and sanded. How do I blend the patch, which is smooth, to the existing drywall, which has a slight texture?

Default Re: blending patch in drywall

Depends on the type of texture how you go about matching it. If it's orange peel or knock-down type texture then you can buy an aerosol can or hand pump hopper gun of texture. If it's skip troweled, then you need topping compound and either a practiced light hand OR texture sand added to the topping compound.

If there is almost no perceptible texture at all, it is likely just paint build up created by using a roller. To recreate this you can do a few different things. You can stipple topping compound with a rag, sponge, wadded paper, plastic bag, or other item that produces a similar pattern or by using a paint roller. Whatever you use, you'll need to water down the topping compound to be very runny, almost paint like in consistency. Once done and dry, lightly and carefully wipe the fresh texture with a damp rag or sponge to soften the jaggedness. From there you can prime and paint the repair then repaint the entire ceiling
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks it is probably from a roller I believe the ceiling has been repainted several times

You're welcome. Let us know how it goes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!