+ Reply to Thread

Default how to create an even line of paint on a textured wall with rounded corners?

Exactly what the title says. I've painted everything. How do I do this? A friend wants me to visit her in Florida and help her paint. They live in a modular home that has texture similar to popcorn ceilings on the walls AND the corners are all curved. Any tricks? Any advice would be great.
    Thanks.

Default Re: how to create an even line of paint on a textured wall with rounded corners?

I've read here once where you paint your different colors right up to the corner and kind of leave a bead of wet paint along the corner. Then you take the roller and roll down the center-line of the corner which will mix the two without there being a stark line. I've never tried it, but it sounds like a great idea to bring two colors together on a round corner.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: how to create an even line of paint on a textured wall with rounded corners?

generally you would use blue painters tape that comes with a varying amount of adhesive on the back depending on the surface you are working with. you would use one with a lower amount of adhesive on a painted surface. the textured surface will pose the problem as in that it will be hard to get the tape completely down over the edges of all the bumps so as to not get any bleed through

tape would be great but the texture does pose a problem.

This process takes a lot of time, effort and TAPE, but will look so good!!!
    This will also solve the problem of getting a straight paint line on smooth walls and ceilings, minus the drywall compound step.
    1st apply tape on the wall where the wall meets the ceiling. I use to use 1/4" drafting tape but, it's hard to come by any more and is costly. I've resorted to 1/2" to 3/4" low-tack tape. The important thing here is that you use low-tack tapes.
    Directly below this 1/2" tape apply 2" tape butted up to, but not overlapping the 1/2" tape. Using contrasting tape colors is a big help.
    When all the tapes are pressed in place, remove only the 1/2" tape.
    Apply drywall compound to this 1/2" space.
    Remove the 2" tape before the compound has a chance to dry.
    When dry, sand and prime.
    Apply the primer and pull it down onto the wall going just below the 1/2" area.
    When thoroughly dried and cured, again apply tape to where the 2" tape was previously placed. 3/4" to 1" will do this time.
    Paint the ceiling and the 1/2" space on the wall.
    Remove the tape before the paint dries.
    Allow this paint to thoroughly cure. A week is good.
    Paint the walls. Cut in up to the 1/2" smooth straight edge you have created. I've found that applying the 1/2" tape again gives the best results.
    Paint your walls and remove the tape before the paint has a chance to dry.

Like I said, a whole lot of work, but you'll end up with a very professional looking paint job.

Forget all the wet-edge nonsense...

This one's TOO EASY!!!

* Run your tape line, and rub down with a picnic spoon.
    * Rub JUST A TRACE of painter's-caulk (barely visible is enough!) at the edge with your fingertip.
    * A small garden-pea size BALL of caulk should last 12 FEET.
    * Wipe off visible caulk with clean rag. If you can't see it...it's enough!
    * While caulk is drying (it won't take long since there's so little of it...!), do other prep tasks.

>>> Pretty much guaranteed there'll be no tape-bleed!
    >>> This technique takes only seconds, and is pretty-much fool-proof!

Faron