+ Reply to Thread

Question Sloping floor for existing first floor laundry area

We live in a ranch home built in 1965 and the laundry area is in a 6'3" x 4'11" alcove area off the kitchen. The problem we encountered is when our washer overflowed over the top of the washer and continued running, ruining our newly installed vinyl floor and sub-floor.
    To prevent this from occurring again, we thought that we would install a floor drain with ceramic tiles to butt up to the vinyl flooring in the rest of the kitchen. Currently, the stationary sink drain enters/exits through the wall and is 1-1/2", plastic to copper. The laundry area has always been on the first floor since the basement is lower than the septic system and would have to pump water uphill to eliminate it.

My question is how to pitch this this floor and what materials to use to get the best slope it to the drain, using 12" square ceramic as the top covering?

Included are pictures of the area and the sink.

Thanks so much for any advice!
    Donna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0164.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	2793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0166.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	2794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0167.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	2795  

Default Re: Sloping floor for existing first floor laundry area

Donna Have you considered just installing a washer pan?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hi Jack,

Yes, we originally thought of a washer pan. The ones we seen at our local do-it-yourself store were only about an inch deep and we were told they are really only good for a leak but will not contain any substantial amount of water. If the hoses were to let loose or like we had with our old malfunctioning machine, a water-fall out over the top...it wouldn't help. I am not sure how much space is needed for one of these. The laundry area "just" fits the sink, the washer and dryer all on the same wall with no room in between any of them!
    I would like to hear what you think about this and if there are other pans that are deeper and would fit between the tight washer/dryer. Do you recommend placing one of these under the washer and connecting it to the existing drain (provided there is clearance for it) and this would take care of any slope issues we may have?

Someone suggested that we build slope curbs that lead toward the drain with the "thinset" material..let it set up and then fill in the voids between curbs solid so it creates a slope we need and use mosaic tiles as opposed to something larger since it would not conform to the slope.

I'm all ears!!! Thank you....Donna

There are several devices that can be added to shut the water off if the washer is not running, or a hose bursts. A washer pan with a drain seems like a logical choice.

While building a curb and containment area would work you have to consider the problems they cause when you want to service the washer. And a sloped floor could cause problems leveling the washer.
    Jack

Ditto Jack.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Sloping floor for existing first floor laundry area...new dilemma!

Hi Jack and others,

Well last time I posted, my question concerned the laundry room drain and how to prevent flooding from the washer. The washer basins you suggested Jack were only 2" deep and we felt more comfortable with the floor drain. I do thank you again for your expert advice! What we decided to do was place a floor drain in a tiled area and replace the hoses with some that are suppose to be guaranteed for 20 years (Floodchek)and basically hope lightening doesn't strike twice with a faulty washing machine. We also thought about purchasing one of those electronic water sensors that have shut off devices in the valves if water is detected on the floor, but have not purchased that or decided for sure yet.

Since we revamped the laundry area (moving the dryer vent to a wall instead of coming out the floor and raising the 220 outlet off the baseboard-we no longer have room for a normal wide washer and dryer in a side-by-side position!! Never thought ahead on this! We do not have the height to install the stackable ones since we have built in cabinets and that would mean tearing out and rebuilding walls/ceilings in plaster...so we thought maybe we should eliminate the stationary sink that is on the rear wall that the washer/dryer goes on, giving us 19 more inches. We are not sure if we bring the drain up higher in the wall (comes out the wall under sink)and allow the washer to drain directly in the PVC instead of sink, if we will have back-up from the pressure of the washer discharge?? The pipe in the basement( before leaving to septic) is copper..4" converting down to the 1.5" PVC now at the sink. If this is doable, could you please explain the process and what we would need to consider.

Hope I covered everything you may need to answer this.
    You guys are lifesavers!!! Thank you so much and I will look for your replies.

Donna

I believe newer washers require a 2" drain so the 1" PVC should be replaced, don't forget the install a trap.
    Jack

Why not install the pan adding a drain with a sealed gasket. It will work just like a shower pan. Make sure you add a trap.