+ Reply to Thread

Question Wood filler for damaged 3/4" T&G subfloor?

For a kitchen remodel, we have removed the tile floor to reveal a layer of 1/2" plywood on top of the 3/4" T&G subfloor - this wasn't an issue with carpet in the adjoining dining room, but we want to install new 3/4" hardwood throughout the kitchen and dining room area. The 1/2" plywood need to be removed so the entire floor can be the same height - problem is, it was glued and screwed to the 3/4" subfloor and when trying to remove it, it sometimes pulls up some of the plys of the T&G subfloor. I need some sort of wood filler for these divots and it must be something that the nails from the new 3/4" hardwood floor can be driven into. I've found many cement based fillers but I'm concerned that they will crack if a nail is driven into it. What about bondo?

Default Re: Wood filler for damaged 3/4" T&G subfloor?

Howdy intall a threshold or consider trying fiber reinfored glass bondo its allot hader ...

Standard floor leveling compound will work just fine.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Timothy and A Spruce:
    Do you think the glass reinforced or the standard floor leveling material would hold up to having a nail driven through it without cracking or shattering? I'm assuming that by standard floor leveling compound, you are talking about the stuff that has cement in it? - that is all the home centers seem to have. Thanks!

Most of the levelers I've used have stayed relatively soft so there should be no issues with cracking or flaking, even if it does, the hardwood will be holding it in place anyway. Your nails need to be long enough to penetrate into solid subfloor by at least the thickness of the material you're trying to hold down. DO NOT rely on leveler to hold a nail, it won't!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The breaks or tears in the plywood aren't really that deep, just ragged and the leveling material would be easier to apply so that sounds like a good way to go. I had thought leveling compounds dried too hard and brittle but I'm going to give it a try. Is there any particular brand or type you would recemmend?

No, there's no brand that I'm partial to. When you go to the big box to pick some up, you want to go to the vinyl sheet goods section, it is there that you'll find the leveler that you want. Get dry mix rather than ready-to-use. Mix only what you can use within the products workability window and clean up your tools and buckets before it hardens. With a 3" or 6" putty knife, try to apply only what is needed, without leaving behind clumps, pools, or ridges. After the leveler has cured in place, take your drywall knife and sc**** it down to catch any high spots so that it's relatively smooth to the rest of the floor. Check the areas of deeper fill and recoat if necessary.

Thanks for your help - after I finish, I'll post to let you know how it goes!