+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dog path mess

Default dog path mess

We have 2 labs who love to run up and down our backyard fence line, so of course they've run a path into the grass to where there isn't any grass there. The neighbors who share the fence have a sprinkler system which mists enough water onto this "dog path" to make an awful muddy mess. I have thought of planting trees/shrubs along this fence to keep the muddy mess under control, but not sure if it will really keep the dogs from running up and down the fence. Any ideas??

Default Re: dog path mess

perhaps a decomposed granite path would be drier. It would need a retaining edge,and would wear well and be neater.
    This would work only if the area is flat. Also the dogs might track DG into the house which is hard in the finish of hardwood floors.

Default Re: dog path mess

I think you're on the right path (no pun intended ) with shrubbery. I'd create flower/plant beds around the perimeter of the yard and install bark or tree shavings from an arborist. I'd plant a thick hedgy type of shrub along the fence to keep the dogs out of the area altogether, with a bark/shavings buffer in front with other shrubs or plantings. A benefit to this is that it reduces the amount of grass to water and care for, and if you plant drought resistant plants, you'll have very little watering need, in fact the neighbors watering may provide enough, at least along the fence.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!