+ Reply to Thread

Default Acrylic Tub vs Cast Iron Tub

I知 redoing one of my bathrooms. I知 not sure which type of tub to go with, an acrylic tub or a cast iron tub. I知 looking for some thoughts on one vs. the other. Thanks

Default Re: Acrylic Tub vs Cast Iron Tub

Fiberglass and acrylic tubs require maintenance to keep their surfaces sealed and in good condition, an enameled tub is virtually bullet proof, short of using abrasive cleaning products or dropping heavy/hard objects in them.

Fiberglass only last a few years before the floor finish wears through, exposing the pores of the fiberglass which collect dirt and body oils that can't be removed, requiring a refinishing of the surface by a pro. Acrylic, like a jacuzzi or spa, is prone to scratching and dulling. While it doesn't suffer the same degradation as fiberglass, it does require cleaning and polishing regularly to keep in great looking condition. An enameled tub doesn't require any special care other than NOT using abrasive cleansers.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Definitely cast outlasts other products, however I find the new porcelein coated plastic tubs cheaply made, easy to chip and not supported very well (only with a ledger board, mortar underneath voids warranty). If it were a second floor I'd save my money, and back and go with acrylic. I've had mine for 7 years and with regular no-frills weekly cleanings looks great, but then again I also squeegee the tile walls after every shower!!

Thank you,
    I'm going to take a chance and go with the Kohler Devonshireョ bath- K-1184-RA. High-quality acrylic construction ensures durability and luster. The integral apron and tile flange simplify installation and prevent the possibility of behind-the-wall water damage, as per Kohler.

Nice choice, I enjoy working with kohler products. The devonshire is a nice deep tub so don't forget to get a roman tripwaste (longer than usual). I would also recommend a mortar or plaster bed underneath, makes them super strong.