+ Reply to Thread

Default Replace old galvanized 2in waste pipe with PVC

I am replacing an old leaking corroded 2in waste pipe (with easy access)under the house with new PVC. The old pipe is fitted into a 4in Cast Iron vertical Waste. It is connected with concrete. Do I take a hammer and chisel to it being careful not to damage the cast iron or is there another way?

Default Re: Replace old galvanized 2in waste pipe with PVC

It's more likely fitted with lead than with concrete. But yes, a hammer and chisel is the way to do it.

When fitting in the new pipe, once you've got the hub cleaned out on the vertical stack, you can use a rubber "donut" to join the new pipe to the existing stack.

Another alternative is to saw off the 2" pipe a few inches from where it joins the stack, then use a rubber coupling to join the new pipe to the old.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: Replace old galvanized 2in waste pipe with PVC

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Another alternative is to saw off the 2" pipe a few inches from where it joins the stack, then use a rubber coupling to join the new pipe to the old.
    This is the more common method and the one I'd recommend so as not to risk damage to the remaining pipe, nor filling it with debris that can lead to later clogging problems.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!