+ Reply to Thread

Question How to reinforce floor joists when sistering is not an easy option

My 1951 house sits on a crawl space with a block foundation wall. The floor joists sit in spaces or pockets along the top of the foundation wall. They rest right on the block in the pockets, not on a sill plate. Very old water damage caused the ends of many joists to rot, leaving sections of the floor very bouncy. Sistering is a typical fix, but in this case the pockets are only big enough to fit a single floor joist (a 2" x
    8"). I can envision all sorts of options: 1) widen pocket to accept second, sister joist, 2) cut off rotted ends and splice with good wood using metal, or wood plates, 3) fabricate a "U" shaped shoe or boot metal (about 18" long) that would slide over joist in to wall pocket, then secured with bolts, 4) a pier system built away from wall to support joists, etc. There are several options. I'm not sure if any these fixes would even meet code requirements. Anyone out there faced this same problem? Did you find a good, code-meeting solution? I've been in the house since 1983, with no immediate plans to sell it. However, at some pooint I'll have to fix this for sale. I want to do this before I get to old to do it myself! Thanks! - jmagee23

Default Re: How to reinforce floor joists when sistering is not an easy option

Howdy consider contacting simpson strong tie company in California to inquire if they have a joist hanger you can shoot- attach with 22 caliber cement driven fasteners- to the block to carry the joists.
    Last edited by Timothy Miller; 09-20-2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: wrong word

Sounds to me if the ends of the joists are rotted then this area will have to be replaced.
    Considering the walls sit overtop the ends of these joists ..... trying to secure the joists to the inside of the blocks doesn't solve all the issues..... especially if the blocks are hollow.

Sounds as though you are going to open up the pockets regardless.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I agree with Canuk, replacement is the proper way. All the support is on the ends of the joist.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb