+ Reply to Thread

Post cracks in saltillo tile floor

I have a saltillo tile floor a family member put down for me a few months back. I put sealer on it per instructions. I use saltillo tile floor cleaner when mopping it and no other chemicals. He put the floor down on the concrete slab. The floor now has several cracks in many of the tiles with a couple of the cracks running 3-4 feet long. I know there is a crack in the concrete floor which I questioned him about treating prior to laying the floor and he reassured me the thinset should seal it off and there should be no problem. He put a very thin layer of thinset when he layed it. Is there anyway I may be able to fix this problem without replacing several tiles? These tiles were hand-made from Mexico and have some great color variations in them. My deceased uncle was a tile-man and had bought them about 25 years ago and my aunt gave them to me. So, they have sentimental value. They were even a little different in size and thickness. He put them down in a way that there are no toe-stumpers. The floor is beautiful and I would prefer to try to salvage them. I only have a few tiles left over and I really would like to avoid buying new tiles to put down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: cracks in saltillo tile floor

a crack isolation membrane may have worked ,but thin set was the wrong choice for going over cracks.