+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaking windows

Default Leaking windows

My house is 10 yrs old and lately I have started noticing that some of the windows are leaking from the bottom(inside) when it rains heavily or rains on the windows. I do not have the window capping that drain the water from their tops. Some of my basement windows ( English basement ) are getting water in this situation. I spoke with a few folks and the told me to get the windows re-caulked. I have noticed the restrained caulk too, but many places it looks good. Some contractors want me to replace the windows... not sure. The house siding seems to not have the tywek in it and I was thinking to replace the sidings with Vinyl sidings since I have hail damage and the insurance partly covered it.
    Any idea or suggestion is appreciated.

Default Re: Leaking windows

Did you want to hire someone to do this work, or attempt it yourself.

To hire someone, consult the Yellow Pages under "Windows", Window repair & replacement", or "contractors-general".

If you want to try one or two windows yourself, start at a window that is at or near ground level, so you don't have to get on a ladder.

I would recommend installing a drip cap aluminum or vinyl flashing at the top of the window as the first step.

This is very light, thin aluminum or vinyl material, that can be easily cut & is available at the big box stores in 10' sections.

You may want to bring a tin snips with you to the store to cut the strip in half after you buy, to get it in the car.

Also pick up tubes of exterior acrylic latex (it must say designed for exterior windows on the tube), or silicone caulking with a caulking gun at the paint dept.

Follow the installation diagram on the site below; scroll down to the last diagram to see how window drip cap is applied above the window.

It may sound strange sealing the top of the window if the bottom is leaking, but as the rainwater flows down the exterior siding above the window, it must be diverted away from the window at the top, or it will seep down the sides to the bottom & get inside the house somewhere along the line.

This assumes the sills at the bottom of the windows are slightly angled outwards, so the rainwater will run out & down away from the house & there is no rot or cracking, that would allow water to seep in.

Then take the garden hose & thoroughly spray the exterior of the window when you're done to check for any leaks.

http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/pubs/ci/v1...11no2_1_e.html
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 10-01-2007 at 05:09 PM.