+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Replacing insulation from the inside - vapor barrier?

The accelerant is what you happen to be sipping while waiting for the meatloaf to cook --- at least that's what Sprucey taught me.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I also have a room with 3 exterior walls gutted down to the studs at the moment. It's 2x4 walls. I was going to go with paper faced insulation. In Connecticut, is that okay or is it still preferred to do unfaced and use plastic? It seems like overkill if you don't make it a perfect seal after you take into accout drywall screws, holes for electrical, etc.

most regions now require electrical boxes on exterior walls to have a self sealing gasket for when drywall goes up the plastic gets pressed into the gasket creating a seal.

even still with older homes its always a bit of a concern adding vapor barrier in only one room and not the entire house. because for the homes entire life the air can breathe in and out through the walls.. plastic on just a few walls can disrupt this flow creating more moisture laden air to want to migrate out through less wall area

creating a tight building envelope requires putting a mechanical air exchanger in... but this is for a house with vapor barrier throught out the entire structure
    fire up the saw and make some dust

We are thinking of insulating our late 1800's home in Southeast Louisiana. We are wondering (if we do install the vapor barrier) if we need to wrap the barrier in between each stud & run it along exterior of house?

Im in the mist of remodeling my home in Erie PA. It was built sometime in the 50's. I've noticed the interior walls have a alum. foil with thread and tar paper on the back side through out the house. Is this bad? As for the exterior walls the insulation is about 1.5 inches thick. I would like to remove all the plaster and put up new insulation. Should I leave the vapor barrier on or is a heavy plastic better?

Quote Originally Posted by lithics View Post
    Im in the mist of remodeling my home in Erie PA. It was built sometime in the 50's. I've noticed the interior walls have a alum. foil with thread and tar paper on the back side through out the house. Is this bad? As for the exterior walls the insulation is about 1.5 inches thick. I would like to remove all the plaster and put up new insulation. Should I leave the vapor barrier on or is a heavy plastic better?
    I'm confused, this aluminium foil is on the interior walls?
    Or is it on the exterior walls over the insulation toward the interior?

If you are removing the walls down to the studs then use the plastic over the insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by bsum1 View Post
    I'm confused, this aluminium foil is on the interior walls?
    Or is it on the exterior walls over the insulation toward the interior?

If you are removing the walls down to the studs then use the plastic over the insulation.

The alum. foil is on the exterior walls over the insulation towards the interior of the house. It is also on both sides of all interior walls as well, not sure why that is.