+ Reply to Thread

Default use a sprayer to paint the ceiling?

I have a large ceiling area that we just finished drywalling and are ready for painting. To be honest, I am not looking forward to staring up at the ceiling and priming and painting the ceiling 9" at a time with a roller. I am wondering if renting a sprayer would be a good idea? The ceiling to be covered is about 400-425sq ft.
    If a sprayer sounds good ( I think it does), can anyone recommend a brand/ type I should use?

thanks for the help.

Default Re: use a sprayer to paint the ceiling?

To be honest, that's not much area. Even you're painting out the entire room it's not worth renting a paint sprayer, because you'll spend more time in prep and clean up than you will if you'd have just rolled it to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for time and labor savings, particularly with paint. I just don't think you'll get a return on your time and money. The caveat to this is if you have acoustic texture on the ceiling, then spraying will be the best means of applying the paint to prevent a gooey, gobbed on look.

If you do painting on a regular basis then you might want to think about picking up either a Wagner type sprayer/power roller or a used professional airless with a power roller attachment. I've got the attachment for my airless and it does really make a huge time savings not having to dip in the paint tray every 5 seconds. With a power roller you merely tap the trigger periodically to keep the roller full of paint, the roller never leaves the wall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I took your advice and bought a wagner power roller from HD.
    It was certainly nice not to have to dip the brush every few minutes. I was pleasantly surprised with the lack of a mess to clean up. I still don't know if a sprayer would have been faster, but I cannot complain about the roller, it worked well.
    thanks for the help.

You're welcome. Thanks for reporting back.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!