+ Reply to Thread

Thread: front entry

Default front entry

I am trying to find the perfect entrance for my front door. at the moment i have concrete steps which im not very happy with. I was thinking of putting decking 10ft out from the porch and then steps down towards the drive. I would really appreciate guidence on this. I am attaching a pic to make it clear what the problem is
    Many thanks in advance
    michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1424.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	2777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1425.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	2778  

Default Re: front entry

I personally would go with a stone. You can adhear it to the existing concrete steps. This would look more natural with the landscape then decking

Default Re: front entry

I can see your point, those steps do leave much to be desired.

First, I would contemplate the entire facade of the house and driveway, then try to bring ALL of those components together. For instance, you may not need to change out the steps at all. What if you brought the level of the grass up to the steps to hide that hideous side. Ditch the lattice under the porch for block or stone, and landscape between the steps and existing porch to hide the other ugly side of the steps.

Right now, as I see it, you've got ugly steps grafted onto the structure, they are not incorporated/integrated. With landscaping you can soften them into the environment. By adding stone or block in place of the lattice, you're bringing in more "masonry" feel and mass, so that the concrete steps are no longer the "sore thumb" part of the equation.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!