View Poll Results: Have I adequately explained the problem?

Voters
2. This poll is closed
  • very well

0 0%
  • good enough

1 50.00%
  • poorly

1 50.00%
  • idiot

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Howling Pipes

Default Howling Pipes

My wife and I are building our retirement home in the mountains of Arizona (8,300') and have installed radiant in-floor heat throughout the house. One of the heat zones (master suite) emits a very loud and annoying howling noise almost all the time that it runs. This noise is repeated in some of the other zones intermittently. I've tried switching the pumps around from another zone with no good results. I've also tried evacuating air from the system with maybe some positive results, but the noise always recurs. Please help, the noise is driving my wife and I Nuts..

Default Re: Howling Pipes

what type of system staple up thermoboards etc? is this noise coming from the manifolds supply and return piping and what material was used for supply and return? pex or copper ? this sounds like expansion and contaction issue what if any kind of isolators did you use?

I have heard zone valves make that noise. If you have them, contact the manufacturer for advice. Preset circuit setters on the returns will insure you are not exceeding the maximum gpm's the zone is designed for. You really need to post more details about the system as djrenek1 said.

The system is made up of 7/8 pex forming the loops of the zones and 3/4 copper making up the feeds from the manifold to the loops of the zones. the pex is held against the bottom of the subfloor by aluminum plates which are stapled to the subfloor. The 3/4 copper is joined to the pex by brass compression fittings. The rest of the copper joints are soldered back through the manifold. Each zone has it's own circulator pump which is activated by a thermostat to a pump controller. There are no zone valves. It is an open system, and all demand for domestic hot water is supplied through the zones to prevent stagnation. The only time the noise occurs is when the pump for that zone is running.

What are the "preset circuit setters" or "isolators" you mentioned? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by timandgailp View Post
    What are the "preset circuit setters" or "isolators" you mentioned? Thanks.
    Circuit setters are balancing valves. They are installed in the return line of the coil or loop where you want to limit the flow to no more than the design calls for. http://www.viega.net/cps/rde/xbcr/en...ll_Valves).pdf
    Preset ones are factory set for a specific GPM. You probably don't need balancing valves since you have one pump per zone, if the pump is sized properly, I am not sure of that.
    You will only have expansion noises until the pex heats up to full temp., about 15 minutes I would guess. After that there will be no more expansion.
    Isolators are corrugated flexible tubing used on the inlet and outlet of the pump to keep from transmitting vibration into the piping.
    Last edited by ZZZ; 09-16-2009 at 03:53 PM.

I have tried every type of search I can and have been unable to locate "isolators" of the type you described. I really think that may help. Could you send me info?

djrenek1 may have been talking about a different isolator than the ones I mentioned. I use them on copper and steel piping to isolate pump and compressor noise. I have never seen them on pex.
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=vib..._dmd=1&_ipg=50

Here is a link that may be what he referred to.
    http://www.argco.com/store/Main.aspx...l&item=2545156

Have you tried running the pump without heating the water to see if the noise is related to expansion of the tubing or something else?
    Last edited by ZZZ; 09-19-2009 at 07:46 PM.