+ Reply to Thread

Default redoing tub and shower

Hello,
    We live in "This Old House". The shower has a hole in the flange, so time to move the remodel up on the list! We have a small walk-in shower, and tub. Have removed the cast-iron tub, and am wondering if it is really necessary to have both a tub and shower in bathroom. Our other bathroom is on 2nd floor, and is 1/2 bath. Do we really need a bathtub? The shower (32") and tub take up the only long wall we have.
    Thank you, Maggie

Default Re: redoing tub and shower

No, you do not need to have both, however in a single bathroom home (1/2 bath doesn't count ... ) a tub may be more desirable for resale value. Incorporating a shower into the tub is a nice way to have both. Having a shower only will not save you any space as far as that long wall in the bathroom. By the time you put in a usable sized shower pan (36" x 36" minimum ), there isn't really any usable space left.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you so much for replying so quickly! We thought we could get a 32" pan. We have seen 32" shower enclosures at Lowe's. Are these not good to have? We could do a tub/shower with an enclosure, build a wall on each end of tub, and build in 10" cabinets at each end. We cannot put a tub enclosure with tub at either end of wall, because wall by door is only 30" wide (right now the shower covers part of 4"-wide door molding), and at other end of wall is a window that leaves only 19" between window and wall.
    Thank you so much for your help! Maggie

The reason not to go with a small shower pan is that it will be too cramped and claustrophobic to be of much use. Here's a simple test for you. Step inside your current tub as if you were showering. Make the motions of taking a shower and note just how much room you're using in the tub. Now measure that space and compare it to having a 32" pan. Another thing you can do is have a helper hold a piece of cardboard or a shower curtain at 32" from the plumbing wall while you stand inside and see how big it is.

I would be inclined to changed the door trim to a narrower style, but similarly patterned to gain back that space. Two and three sided enclosures are expensive and finding a two or three sided tub will be tough. If you have to build a wall at either end of the tub you'll still be in the same boat as far as space goes.

I would recommend laying out different designs, including walls, and see how you can best use the space. A typical wall is 4-1/2" thick, not counting the tub surround. A typical tub is 30 x 60" +/- an inch.

How difficult would it be to relocate the window to behind the door, so that the tub could go all the way to the end wall? you'd likely get more usable space if that were possible.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you so much for replying!
    We currently have a 32" pan in the shower, and it is a little tight. However, the walk-in type is nice. We'll see.
    We now have a leak from the drain or something else in the bottom of the shower, as we get water in the basement now whenever we shower. Someone is coming over tomorrow to take a look at that. And, we took off a few plastic tiles from the wall on the outside of the shower last night, and it was wet in there. Seems that the walls of the shower aren't doing very good either.
    We are going to have to make decisions pretty quickly now. My husband and I are both thinking that the best thing is probably to tear out the shower, and see what we find in the walls and such. Then, go from there. I am leaning more and more for a tub/shower combo with enclosure. My husband isn't sure at this point that he wants to give up the walk-in shower.
    I guess we will find out more tomorrow!
    Thank you for your help! Maggie

Well, the shower is coming out maybe this weekend, and we are going to do a tub/shower combo. I have checked at Home Depot, and they have Bootzcast and Lascoat tubs. Do you know anything about these?
    Thank you!

Unfortunately, no.

Thank you for all of the help! Maggie