+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Building a new house and need framing advice

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your feedback. We're about to start building a 2200 sq. foot house in the Boston area, it's on a small lot and they cap the footprint and sq footage for being on a small lot, thus the (relatively) small house to be built. It's a 31x38 main house with attached 1 car garage.
    We're GC-ing it ourselves and we've lined up most of our subs and I've used most of them in the past and know their quality of work.
    The question is...we're still trying to figure out who to hire for the house framing. We need to know how long it should take to frame up the house and how many people will be required. For example, someone told me that a "good" framing crew with 6-7 guys should do it in a week. Therefore, if you had a good crew of 3-4 guys, does that mean it should take 2 weeks? Obviously the reason for the question is because the time requirement will impact price, and any crew can probably work fast or slow to benefit themselves. What does everyone think is appropriate?
    Also, when is their work finished. They obviously handle framing and sheathing, but what else??? Do they apply the Tyvar? Instal the widows/exterior doors? Roof and siding?? Thanks, looking forward to the feedback.

Default Re: Building a new house and need framing advice

Thanks jkirk. The house is pretty straightforward. Nothing overly fancy, as the house is a square foundation with an attached 1 car garage. I'm no expert, but I'd say that the description more closely resembles your example of a simple box house. The only challenge may be in the rooflines, as the roof will be that of a gambrel/cape style, whereby the rooflines will slant down the second floor walls and the second floor windows will be in the former of dormers.
    My feeling is that 6 guys probably can get the framing described below in a week. I think I'd prefer they put the housewrap/tyvek on when framing (along with the roof felt) and have exterior siding/roofing to immediately follow.

we're builders, remodelers and framers in the boston area. i have a 3 man framing crew and we can usually put up a 2,000 sq ft house in less than two weeks. if i throw more guys on it we can do it quicker. but framing is framing, windows, trim, etc all take some more time. if you wanted me to price out framing, all i would price out is framing the shell, interior walls, exterior sheathing and roof sheathing as well as temp stairs between 1st and 2nd floor. we'll do as little or as much as you want, but most people include getting it weather tight, roof, tyvek, windows and temp doors.

Howdy, books on framing trell how many hours / per job it should take an experienced framer to do the job- might review one.
    Oh have you thought of supoerinsultion of the walls? I been reading about double stud walls staggered studs and this wide cavity filled with cellulose ... few web pages give great information and 24" on studs makes the costs of framing this over norm about the same....

staggered stud and double stud walls in the exterior are extremely rare and double the labour and material.
    a more common practice is to insulate the walls with r-24 and then install 1" rigid foam on the outside which creates a r-30 and also eliminates thermal bridging
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    staggered stud and double stud walls in the exterior are extremely rare and double the labour and material.
    a more common practice is to insulate the walls with r-24 and then install 1" rigid foam on the outside which creates a r-30 and also eliminates thermal bridging
    Staggering studs are more common in multifamily construction with party/fire walls. I remember back in the mid 70's we had to use fire treated wood studs. They were treated with salt,if you had a open cut anywhere the salt got into it it sure did burn. The studs would sweat on hot hummid days and slymeeeeee as heck.....
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

for an interior party wall yes. very common unless they use block to create it which ive run into, just saying for an exterior wall though. ive read about it for an exterior wall just never seen it or personally know any old timers who have either
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    I would suggest running the number s on how much foam to install before you run into potentil moisture issues...
    Fella staggered double stud walls 24" on center is gaining use as it greatly increases the ability to insulate wall cavities and or reduce thermo bridging of studs. An greatly reducing the HVAC needs and wear etc..... Shame to see backward looking posts...
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Unhappy Re: Building a new house and need framing advice

what are all the groves in a roofing square ....for

we're builders in the new york area. if you interested then let us know. We have sufficient man for your project.
    Architectural designs house Evoneusa plans various Hidden Content .