Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GFCI Problem

Default Re: GFCI Problem

Gary, you seemed to have missed the point. I never stated a freezer should not be on a GFI circuit I just stated the reasoning of exempting them even as recently as the 2005 code by the NEC. Because of this inherent problem of nuisance tripping, which was probably corrected in the 2006 UL GFI changes, it was not necessarily something wrong with the freezer. The pre 2006 GFI receptacles are still commonly sold in stores and ******. This is why I recommended getting an electrician, as no one can diagnose these things over the internet, not I, not even you. I do not know what code revision is being used where the OP lives, but a local electrician would. I was merely discussing an option Ernie brought up that would qualify under the 2005 code and the history of GFI problems (as I stated "old panelboards" in my post). There was a similar problem with AFCI nuisance tripping, and I do not know if it has been resolved. I hope this doesn't mean I am too "out of date".

Gray, although your post is full of valuable information, you apparently don't understand the difference between line leakage and phase shift. There is no line leakage with capacitive phase shift. High capacitive start motors will cause GFCI to trip because the current flow is delayed by the capacitor.

The fact that the freezer has a warning not to install on a GFCI suggest that the design will cause false trips, at least at the time the unit was manufactured.

An older GFCI may be the problem, degradation of the electronic component in the GFCI may be a problem, moisture problems with the GFCI in a main panel is probably not the problem.

Personally I would not have a refrigerator or a freezer on a GFCI.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Gray, although your post is full of valuable information, you apparently don't understand the difference between line leakage and phase shift. There is no line leakage with capacitive phase shift. High capacitive start motors will cause GFCI to trip because the current flow is delayed by the capacitor.

The fact that the freezer has a warning not to install on a GFCI suggest that the design will cause false trips, at least at the time the unit was manufactured.

An older GFCI may be the problem, degradation of the electronic component in the GFCI may be a problem, moisture problems with the GFCI in a main panel is probably not the problem.

Personally I would not have a refrigerator or a freezer on a GFCI.
    Jack
    That last line sums up all the posts combined !!!!
    And I am very suspect of the "new and improved" GFCIs preventing nuisance tripping. Time will tell on that issue.