+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceiling fan making rhymic humming

I have a ceiling fan in my home, and since it was installed a year and a half ago, when on the medium and high speed the motor makes a rhymic humming sound. The fan is on a switch and was a $200 fan when new. The sound is like (hum.....hum.....hum...hum...hum) like the motor is turning on and off, but the fan is running at the right speed. Anyone have any clues as to what might be wrong?

Default Re: Ceiling fan making rhymic humming

Do you have a variable speed control? Most fans will make noise when you deviate from the high medium low settings. Is it on a remote? What is the brand, It could just be a poor quality fan might be under warranty. Is the fan on a long down rod? Im glad to help out! -The Lighting Lab

I have it hooked into a wall switch, the room was prewired for a ceiling fan by the builder. The only speed control is on the remote that came with the fan. The fan is a Hampton Bay St. Augustine and was over $200 when new, which I thought made it an expensive fan. The downrod is very short we have a canopy bed and had to keep it above that. The noise is only heard when on medium or high speed and is so annoying it keeps us up at night.

Oh ok I was gonna see if there was a string I could pull if it was a company I represent, but Hampton bay is a home depot exclusive brand,... I would look into a factory warranty of some sort? I know any of my fan companies would honor anything like that. In my experience the big box companies like that dont always put there efforts into quality... they are more for looks...Ive see blades warped down and high frequency noises..wierd...talk to someone at the depot return counter before you go and take the fan down they might just give you a new fan or motor? and have you field destroy... sorry for your trouble!!

Justin Grzymkowski
    TheLightingLab.com

I have seen a lot of problems with Hampton Bay fans. There are many sites that claim H.B. have a lifetime warranty, but it is a "Limited lifetime warranty" and it is only for the motor itself and not the circuit board, switches, capacitors, or other parts. Those only have a one or two year warranty depending on the model. You must have your store receipt to collect on them also. Wobble isn't considered a defect and they expect customers to pay the installer to balance them if they need it. This can cost you. They are still much better than Wal Mart.
    For the best fans go to Hunter or Casablanca. Casablanca even supplies a 120 day in home service warranty.
    Last edited by ZZZ; 09-13-2009 at 01:46 PM.

I forgot to mention, in my opinion, you have a motor problem which should be covered by warranty if you have the receipt. You can deal with King of Fans (the company that imports them from China for Home Depot) by calling 1.954.484.7500. The labor to remove and reinstall a fan is never covered by warranty.

If you can't get it to stop humming, you may have to teach it the words.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Most common causes assuming the fan wiring was installed properly are: A wiring error; the (wall) switch not rated (or matched) for the motor control/supply, specifically using a light switch not dually rated for supplying the fan; the fan unit not installed level and/or the blades not being properly balanced. Speed controls vary depending on the date of manufacture of the fan unit, as the standards for such fans have been revised several times over the last few years - thus matching the vintage and specifications of the unit and the controls are critical. Does your fan unit have a light and if so is it incandescent or fluorescent.
    Last edited by Gray Watson; 09-15-2009 at 10:24 AM.
    SPAM: never liked it from a can, can't stand it on a board forum. This board needs MODERATORS!