+ Reply to Thread

Default minwax water based poly for floors not adhering to minwax oil based stain

Sanded 68 yr old hardwood floors to bare wood. Applied minwax oil based stain. After dry, wiped with mineral spirits, scuffed sanded with 220 grit, wiped with mineral spirits. Next day wiped with tack cloth to make sure dust was all gone. Applied one coat of minwax water based polyurethane for floors. It did not apply evenly, rather looked like a milkly finish being applied to a waxed car. It beaded up (not bubbled up)and did not seem to evenly adhere to floor. I don't think it is going to adhere properly so do not want to try to apply another coat. Originally wanted to apply 100% tung oil thinned with citrus solvent or low odor mineral spirits & now wish I had. Do I have to resand, or screen, or what? Help. I really think I obsessively researched this & now don't know what to do. Maybe I put the stain on too heavy & if so will anything adhere?

Default Re: minwax water based poly for floors not adhering to minwax oil based stain

MinWax polyurethanes SUCK!!!! They are probably the worst thing on the market as far as workable, clear, and smooth finishes go. Their liquid stains are good, but that's about it. Gel stains just don't work at all and forget about using a stain/poly single coat product.

On to your problem. My suspicion is that it's primarily the MinWax poly, second that it's a water based poly going over an oil based stain. Even though they come from the same manufacturer, that does not make the two products compatible. Look for the General brand of poly and use an oil based poly over a water born poly. I can not attest from personal experience, but a few of the regulars that I trust have recommended the General brand of poly and that oil based polys are better for floors because they're more durable.

You will likely have to screen/sand off the first coat of poly before trying to apply another brand/type of poly.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: minwax water based poly for floors not adhering to minwax oil based stain

Minwax finish is junk, period. The only finish I use on floors is "Old Masters" brand oil based poly. It dries hard and durable and has the best self leveling characteristics I've seen.

You used and oil stain and are then trying to put water on top of it that's why it is pooling.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks so much for the replies. I really researched this before doing it and am so disappointed. Minwax website and the customer service people both said water based poly is fine over the oil based stain. My instincts told me no but my inexperience made me believe them. My brother also told me no because he always uses oil based poly but with the new voc rules in Ohio the Sherwin Williams store only had the water based version of poly and said I would be fine. Lowes had some other brands of oil based poly because they are allowed to sell it as long as it is old stock not new stock but I wanted to avoid all the fumes and wanted something that I could also use next year when I do my upstairs and everyone was saying that once their oil based poly was gone it was gone until new low voc versions came out. I even considered mixing my own tung oil, mineral spirits, varnish combination to get something old & natural looking. I read that if I left the stain on too long & didn't wipe off enough that I could have created a surface that no poly will stick to. I thought I did ok on that but maybe not. If not, I don't want to risk screening or sanding and applying another poly of any kind. What else could I use like tung oil or danish varnish or fake tung oil varnishes etc?

Spoke to a minwax rep who thinks the problem is the way I applied the stain. He thinks that I didn't rub enough off and left it dry. I did have some shine on the surface of the wood which didn't look right to me. I rubbed with mineral spirits, then scuff sanded with 220, then rubbed with mineral spirits again. I ended up with a dull surface that was evenly stained and looked fine. The poly did not apply correctly though. They now say I should sand off poly and use their refinisher product to remove any excess stain on surface of wood and then reapply waterbased poly. We are talking 400 sq. ft. of floor so if I am going to have to sand I will take it down to bare wood and never use Minwax products again.

That would probably be the best route.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

just so everyone knows, you can DEFINITELY put water based poly over oil stain without any problems, the reason you are have a problem is because you did not wipe off enough of the excess stain and did not give the stain enough time to dry. I work out in the hamptons and most people use water based poly over minwax oil stains all the time.