+ Reply to Thread

Default Removal of flux odor in new pipes

Is there any good way of removing flux odor from tap water? I recently ran a new water line to my kitchen and noticed the odor. It takes a minute of running the tap until it is gone. Flux used was Oatley No. 5. Any remedies?

Default Re: Removal of flux odor in new pipes

after installing new pipes you should always run the water for several minutes to clean out the system. This will also get rid of the odor

Thanks for the suggestion, but a week after installation, the odor persists. I think that I may need to take more drastic measures like heating joints to liquify the remaining solder will the water is running...any thoughts?

You cannot liquify solder if there is even a minute trickle of water through the pipe,or even if there is any water sitting within 1' of the joint. Give it some time and it should go away or introduce some baking soda solution upstream of the joints.

I wanted to heat the water-filled pipes to dissolve the flux not the solder, since, as you pointed out, solder will not approach melting in this case while flux hopefully will.

If it's the cold water line, you might try flushing it with hot water. This could be easy or very difficult, depending on where shutoff valves are located in your plumbing system.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Brilliant, Fencepost. And I think I can pull it off as well! Much thanks, tuskman