+ Reply to Thread

Default Framing around a breaker box

I am trying to figure out how to safely frame around my electric service panel for drywalling. Based on the photo I have attached below, what sort of things should I be aware of? I am concerned with putting drywall across the wires that lead out of the top of the box since there would be no protection for them other than the drywall itself. I am going to move the light switch that is left of the box. The outlet below it will stay.

Default Re: Framing around a breaker box

cover them wires up with dry wall, thats fine, just be careful not to put a screw through them!! theres no differnce between that and wires running throughout the house.. the only differece is bundling codes, which werent into effect till last code cylce, at least for my area!! so basically bury the wires, not the panel cover thogh!!! if it was me and i was goona cover the panel, it wouldnt hurt to leave a chase to the panel, stub up a pipe, say a 1 1/4, right to the celing. it could come in handy if you do any additional upgrades! also the light switch below would be fine if you left it there, as far as code goes!! good luck!!

Thanks for the suggestions. That is a good idea with the conduit.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky1 View Post
    ...if it was me and i was goona cover the panel, it wouldnt hurt to leave a chase to the panel, stub up a pipe, say a 1 1/4, right to the celing. it could come in handy if you do any additional upgrades!
    I suggested the same thing to a customer after putting in a new panel. I used 2 left over pieces of 3/4" instead. Thinking ahead goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by wmuzeke View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. That is a good idea with the conduit.
    You can also consider running a piece of PVC down to the floor, from the load center, if you have access to running Romex below the floor, that is.