+ Reply to Thread

Default digging a new garden

I want to dig a new garden in my backyard. I have an area just off of my brick patio that slopes down about 1 foot over the length of 8 feet where it gets flat and goes out to the back yard. I want to utilize this space as a garden because it will be easy to access and easy to mow around. The problem I have is that when it rains and all spring long the water pools around the bottom of this slope. Should I build it up all around this area and wall it in to make it level? What should I use in the bottom of it below the soil?

Thanks

Brian.

Default Re: digging a new garden

If you've got a major wet spot and pooling, I'd say to regrade that area so that the water naturally flows around and away. Also, if you've got a 12" drop in 8', then I'd be concerned about erosion of bare soil during the rainy season as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

for the erosion I was thinking that building up the surrounding walls to make it all level would take care of that. I don't know about regrading it...who does that sort of thing?

So you're thinking kind of a raised bed affair? That would work fine and would add a lot of aesthetic value to the yard. I'd recommend using the decorative retaining wall blocks for the walls.

Regrading isn't all that difficult if you're physically willing and capable, it's mostly a lot of shovel work. You can do it several different ways, the easiest would be to bring in more top soil to grade it as you need. More work would be to move the dirt you already have around to where it needs to be. This second plan can be made much easier with at least a rototiller to break up the ground to be moved, as well as aid in breaking up the soil and smoothing the area once the grading is done. To really take the work out of the project and infuse a good amount of fun, rent a tractor with a rototiller and front loader to break up and move the soil around. While you're at it, this would be the perfect time to amend the soil as deeply as possible with manure or compost such as what municipalities make from the curb side green waste pick-up. If you need irrigation installed or need to rework the irrigation you have, this would also be the time to do that. Speaking of irrigation, if you're going to create raised bed/garden, you'll want water there, so at the very least get a pipe over there, best case scenario is to determine the water needs and install the requisite number of circuits.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

a raised bed was exactly what I was thinking.

With that slope, you might be able to plant a rain garden. Of course, this only works if you like asters and sedges, etc.