+ Reply to Thread

Default probably a dumb grout question

this may sound odd but i thought it was not a big deal until it kept happening time after time after time. it appears that in some boxes of grout there's some type of red dye in them. i mix the grout and while spreading it i get an occasionaly red streak. it's not a big deal and it always cleans up easily but my question is, why is it there? my only guess was that it's put into the grout and meant to disolve in the mixing process and it was some strange way to let you know that the mix was wet enough. but if i use a dry mix or a wet mix, i get the same thing all the time. i'd say i get this red stuff in about every other box of grout i use and i probably use about 30-40 boxes per year.

Default Re: probably a dumb grout question

I get it on occasion as well. I suspect that the red (and other streaky colors ) are the base tints used to get the grout color. It is probably not being mixed well enough and/or remixed before use. It's been a while since I've grouted anything, though I recall that when you mix it you're supposed to let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes, mix again and use.This is probably so that all of the particles get fully saturated and dissolved, the remix prior to use should blend in the spots of color. You may not be using enough water when mixing the batch - just a guess.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: probably a dumb grout question

Quote Originally Posted by MLBSF View Post
    this may sound odd but i thought it was not a big deal until it kept happening time after time after time. it appears that in some boxes of grout there's some type of red dye in them. i mix the grout and while spreading it i get an occasionaly red streak. it's not a big deal and it always cleans up easily but my question is, why is it there? my only guess was that it's put into the grout and meant to disolve in the mixing process and it was some strange way to let you know that the mix was wet enough. but if i use a dry mix or a wet mix, i get the same thing all the time. i'd say i get this red stuff in about every other box of grout i use and i probably use about 30-40 boxes per year.
    The reason for the streaking is the dye used to color the mortar is a larger partical size than the arrogate or cement/lime used in the mix, it gets encaptulated by the smaller particals and will remain until squeezed/pressed smooth than it follows the trowel or tools used.
    In plaster work if dry dye is used in a smooth finish all colors used in the mix will make the streaks.I call them shooting stars.
    The next time you mix a batch take say a white plastic trowel place a small amount on it than use a metal trowel to press it (squeeze)and you will get the shooting stars and each time you do this you will get difference colors to appear