+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathroom Vent - Is A Motorized Fan Needed?

First timer here trying to find the right solution.

I own a 1926 upper / lower duplex (previously a single family home converted some time in the 60's). The upper unit (sometimes called a mother-in-law apartment) bathroom does not have any venting and it can get stuffy and humid during the winter months here in Minnesota.

I initially wanted to install a bathroom vent fan. However, this would require some pretty difficult (and expensive) electrical work. There is no light switch in the bathroom, but rather two individuals lights controlled by push buttons on the fixtures. Also, as the house was built in 1926, there is a tremendous amount of stucco. So even if I wanted to run electrical, the patching would cost me time and money as well.

So my question is can you install a simple vent (thru the ceiling and out to the roof), but with no motor? Has anyone done this before? What was your experience? Where do you find them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Bathroom Vent - Is A Motorized Fan Needed?

you can install a hole anywhere in your house that you want to but i would not recommend doing that. it won't create any type of airflow and it basically useless. you said you have power to some lights in the bathroom, it's not a very costly project to have an electrician use the power from the lights to go to a switch to power a fan. seems pretty simple to me.

I don't have a lot of experience, but in my searching on this site today, I came across a post about some fans where the motor is in a different place than the ceiling, maybe at some point along the ductwork, perhaps in your attic. Theoretically, it would still draw the air out of the bathroom, venting it wherever. Possible solution? Of course I can't find the link now, but you might be able to by searching a little bit. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Street View Post
    I don't have a lot of experience, but in my searching on this site today, I came across a post about some fans where the motor is in a different place than the ceiling, maybe at some point along the ductwork, perhaps in your attic. Theoretically, it would still draw the air out of the bathroom, venting it wherever. Possible solution? Of course I can't find the link now, but you might be able to by searching a little bit. Good luck.
    I believe that those are called inline fans. I've never seen one myself, though they've been discussed a few times around here as a means to assist venting with long runs.

Usually, it's not too difficult to find a power source in the attic, which leaves dropping a switch leg down the wall to operate the fan. You'll probably find fire blocking at about 4' off the floor and you can choose to install your switch above or below the fire block. Above will be easiest and cleanest, below will require a small amount of wall repair when you're done. If you find fire blocking and want to get below it, I'll continue a discussion on how you go about that.

When you install your ducting, you want to make sure you slant it away from the fan so that any moisture condensation will drain away from the fan. If you're going vertical, then you need to make sure that your roof penetration remains clear if you're in a snow zone. If you vent through the soffit, then make sure you're not too close to a soffit vent or the warm moist air will just get drawn back into the attic. Lastly, you want to make sure you vent the bathroom to the exterior so that you don't have moisture problems in the attic or other areas of the house.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!