+ Reply to Thread

Thread: water heater ?

Default water heater ?

I have a rental property with a 4 1/2 yr old electric water heater. Tenant called said there was little to no hot water. I went up the next morning, the hot water pipe warm warm not hot. I checked the circuit breaker, checked for voltage at the unit, both checked out fine.
    I checked the reset button, it was NOT tripped. I checked the top element for voltage it was 234 volts. checked every electrical connection all were tight and clean. I tested the top temperature controller, before I realized how those systems work, I thought it was faulty, I replaced it. I got the same results, the top element getting power and the bottom controller/ element was not. Upon realizing that, that was the way the systems are designed, the top element heats up to temp then the bottom element heats up. It seemed to be working ok. I got a call that evening, same thing little to no hot water. I went up Sun. morning I checked out everything again, all seemed ok. We took it one step farther, shut power off drained the tank.
    We pulled out both elements, they looked pretty good, small amount of build up, tested them seemed ok. To try to eliminate any problem I purchased 2 new elements, and a new lower temperature controller, now all components are new. I checked out the dip tube, that was fine put it all together filled the tank, turned it back on, it seemed to be working just fine. I let it heat up for about 30 minutes it was getting hot that was Sunday. I got a call again today, tenant said same problem little to no hot water. What else could it be? The tenant has lived there for 8 yrs. no new appliances, no new people. I am at wits end, I called a plumber I know he was out of ideas too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (sorry so long winded)

Roger

Default Re: water heater ?

Is it the whole house not getting hot water, or just one fixture?

Well unfortunately or fortunately I found a water pipe leaking in a small secluded basement separated by a crawl space. There was a leak draining most of the hot water off the tank.

Well Thanks for all who took the time to read my post.

Roger

Glad you got it sorted out.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!