+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up camper to house?

I would like to hook my new camper to my home electrical system so I can use it as a "Guesthouse" when necessary. It requires a 30 amp dedicated circuit. What I would like to do is run from a 30 amp breaker in my main panel to a new subpanel in my garage. Should there also be a breaker in the subpanel? Also the outdoor receptacle has to be waterproof of course. I am not going to do the work myself because i dont know enough yet to try this big of a project, but am i on the right track? Also what size wire should
    I be using, 10awg? Any input would be appreciated, like I said I am trying to learn as much as i can from the pros on here!

Default Re: camper to house?

You don't need a sub-panel in the garage, run from a double pole 30 amp breaker in the main to the outside receptacle. 10-3 plus ground unless the run is much greater than 100 feet.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

even better for me. That could save me quite a bit of money!!!!
    One more question, how do I know or how can i calculate how much my main panel can handle? I have a 150 amp main panel.

If you take a litte time filling out this calculator you should be pretty close as far as your calculated load goes.

http://www.electricalknowledge.com/SFDLoadCalc.asp

*** thanks a lot guys i appreciate all the input

Just 10-2 w/ ground is necessary because it is only 120V and a single-pole, 30 amp breaker to match your panel. The NEMA number for the receptacle is TT-30R. Check your local home improvement store for an outdoor box. I used to work for an RV dealer and many customers brought in their RV after it was hooked up to 240V and fried everything.

Receptacle link and info

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...US&item=107467

RV parts enlcosure (may include everything but wire and breaker)

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...x-30-amp/20811
    Last edited by college student; 09-09-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Additional information

That may be a good catch College Student, the only camper I have had experience with was my father's and and I thought his had a 220 panel.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 09-09-2009 at 11:00 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

At first look its an easy mistake. Your father may have a 50amp, 120/240V RV, the only difference from residential, is the RV doesn't have any 240V fixtures/appliances; just 2 seperate hots.

Quote Originally Posted by college student View Post
    At first look its an easy mistake. Your father may have a 50amp, 120/240V RV, the only difference from residential, is the RV doesn't have any 240V fixtures/appliances; just 2 seperate hots.
    You are losing me with the last sentence.

A 50amp RV (cord) has 2 hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground. There normally are no 2-pole breakers in an RV panel because everything runs on 120V.

I hope that clarifies the verbosity.