+ Reply to Thread

Default Should pipes be replaced?

Iím remodeling my 35 year old bathroom and completely gutting it down to the studs. Should I replace all pipes that are exposed when I have the walls and floors open to be proactive incase of leaks in the future. I plan on tiling all 4 walls from the floor to ceiling as well as the floor and would hate to have to open something up in a few years because of a leak. But I would rather not re-plumb if not necessary.

Default Re: Should pipes be replaced?

if the pipes are copper, you should be good to go. if they're brass or galvi, i would replace them all......like the way you think, proactive is "always" the way to go

Regardless if it is 35 yr old copper or other material, your best bet is to replace them all because the pipes may not leak today but can leak tomorrow.

FYI...copper pipes doesn't lasted forever because of quality in water and expansion.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Thanks guys, what are your thoughts on installing an acrylic tub vs a good old cast iron? I'm looking at Kohler fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by timor4 View Post
    Thanks guys, what are your thoughts on installing an acrylic tub vs a good old cast iron? I'm looking at Kohler fixtures.
    Acrylics and fiberglass don't last as long as enameled steel or cast iron. If this is your retirement home, go with the latter. If this is a home you'll be selling in the next 10 years the former will be cheaper and suit your needs.

As for the pipes, as was stated, if galvanized, replace them. If copper, replacement wouldn't hurt, however the necessity will depend on the acidity/hardness of your water. Going back to whether or not this is your retirement home would be the determining factor in my book. That is not to say to do things on the cheap, only that the return on your money isn't there.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!