+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Help with cast iron floor registers....

Hello, everyone!~

I have two, vintage cast iron floor registers and I'm not entirely sure what to do with them.

My house is about 120 years old, and the registers were in the floor for decades. As the house was upgraded inside, these registers were taken out.

Are they worth anything today? Can someone point me in the right direction with regard to getting rid of them?

Thanks,
    Kirk Young
    krkyoung@metrocast.net

Default Re: Help with cast iron floor registers....

Google Architectural Salvage in your area, there are lots of places that will take those off your hands. From experience, the price they pay you is about 10% of what they will sell it for in their stores. In my area, I've seen plain, average size ones for $20, on up to $100 plus for ornate designs and odd shapes.
    Proud to be suburban free.

I have seen a bunch of Ebay. You may want to try to sell them there. They are worth money to some people, I just fixed one and wish I would have just bought one ******.

Here's what a buddy of mine help me put together. The louvers still work, they make a great clank sound when you open or close them. The legs are turned antique table legs and yes, I still need to stain the rest of it.

I bought about 30 of these on ebay four years ago at prices ranging from $10 to $50. I cleaned them, added a clear finish and installed them throughout my new/old house. They're beautiful and indestructible. You should consider using them in your house.