I have three posts made of stone on my front porch. The north and south posts are topped by a large flat stone with a wood pillar on top of that. This supports the porch. The stones are rectangular, some shaped to a point on the end, and then placed in a pattern. My foundation has the same stones and pattern. When I bought the house, the posts had already been [sloppily] patched: concrete (or whatever) smeared between some of the stones. The porch is about 18' X 10'. I live in Topeka, Kansas, so we have a full four seasons with freezing in the winter and hot, humid summers. My house was built in 1915.

The stone posts lean. The north one leans the most, out, to the north. The center one is separated. Like the front half is leaning west, toward the street, and the back half is leaning east, toward the house. This isn't visible from the outside but was discovered recently...from crawling around under the porch to build a retaining wall and replace the lattice. The south one leans slightly, east, toward the house.

I have an estimate for mud-jacking the north post. I don't understand how this is done without the posts breaking apart. I don't know if I need to 'fix' the mortar between the stones by having them tuck pointed, or go ahead with the mud-jacking, or both, or which first? I haven't talked to any professionals yet; gathering info at this point. Although I have tons of other projects that need my time and $$$$$, eventually, I suppose, the integrity of the whole porch will be affected by these posts.

Last but not least, how can I remove paint from the stones from previous sloppy paint jobs? Gently...without damaging what's left of the mortar and/or discoloring the stones? I just spent the last two days scraping paint off the porch floor, to repaint, and would love to remove the paint slopped onto the stones.