+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding a ceiling fan in a hallway with multiple switches and lights.

I would like to install a ceiling fan in my upstairs hallway and prefer to be able to control the fan independently from the lights. My current setup is two 3-way switches and two lights. My power source enters a 3-way switch and then I have a 4-wire connection to an additional 3-way switch. It then goes to the first light and then onto the second light. The second light location is where we would like to install the ceiling fan. If it is possible I would like to have an addition switch to control the fan located next to the first 3-way switch in my current setup. What is the best way to go about adding an additional switch for this? I was thinking that I would need to run an additional 3-wire connection to the location for the fan and wire it to a standard 2-way switch. I can use power from the existing neighboring 3-way switch that controls the lights. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Adding a ceiling fan in a hallway with multiple switches and lights.

Howdy consider spending a little more and get a fan with a remote control so no need to have it switch controlled just wired in to a single switch that is left on and the remote does the lights and fan speeds seperatly . These are really nice to have...

Default Re: Adding a ceiling fan in a hallway with multiple switches and lights.

Change the box at the first 3-way to an additional gang box and add a single switch, run a 2 cond+ from there to the fan location. Connect the white wire to the common in the box and the black to the single switch. Jumper the power from the 3-way to the single switch. Remove the cable between the first light and the second.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I've got fans that are wireless wall remote adaptable they will allow you to operate the light and the fan seperately. You can even use multiple wall controls and or remotes using the same frequency.

You just replace the hub where the pull chains come out with the particular receiver type hub without the pull chains....the wall switch transmitter installs like a regular switch only it has a transmittter to operate the fan speed and light seperately. It even has a option to operate a uplight on the fan....let me know if you want to check out the fans... how high is the ceiling where the fan will mount and how large is the room?

-Justin
    TheLightingLab.com