+ Reply to Thread

Default installing light fixtures in houses built before 1985

I purchased a light fixture and when I opened the box there was a warning on the flaps that said that a 90 degree celsius rated wire is required to install the fixture and that it could cause an electrical fire if I did. I have an older house (built in 1964) that most likely has the older 60 degree celsius rated wires (the warning went on to say that most houses built before 1985 have the older 60 degree rated wires). Can I safely install this light fixture. This warning wasn't printed on the box, so I didn't know about this requirement before purchasing the light. If it is such an issue, why didn't they print this on the box? It is a Flushmount Ceiling Fixture which may be a reason for the warning since more heat is generated by the bulbs in an enclosed light fixture. Are there any light fixtures out there that work on 60 degree Celsius wiring? Is there a safe way that I can install this light fixture without having to rewire? I'm a newbie but have never really seen this warning in other fixtures that I have installed.

Default Re: installing light fixtures in houses built before 1985

you will find this on many fixture.. i persoanlly wouldnt hesitiate to throw up the fixture.. and i believe that typiacl NMB (romex) is not rated for more than 60 degree celius... i dont have my code book on me to verify that, its in the job trailer.. we run into this in industrial jobs all the time.. its an easy fix for us. we run out some 90 degree wire from the nearest juntion box to make this legal... but for just a simple homeowner put it up!!

I the conductor coating on NMB cable is rated at 90 degrees C. A house built in 1985 should have all NMB or better cabling.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 09-06-2009 at 09:43 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I the conductor coating on NMB cable is rated at 90 degrees C. A house built in 1985 should have all NMB or better cabling.
    Jack
    If the house were inspected it should have NM-B. Funnier things have happened as we all know.
    I to would install the fixture without hesitation.