+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Detailed Estimate?

I'm having my bathroom totally gutted and redone. I received an estimate with only half of the jobs we discussed on the estimate. When called on it they said oh, it includes everything start to finish. Shouldn't I expect EVERYTHING to be in writing of the work we want done? My other estimates were more detailed. Am I being paranoid?

Default Re: Detailed Estimate?

No, you're not being paranoid! Estimates should be as detailed as possible so that when you look at them you know every detail is included as well as be able to compare it to other estimates for the same work. DO NOT take what isn't there for granted, if it's not in writing, then the contractor is under no obligation, other than his word, that it will be supplied. In the unlikely event that legal action is necessary, you will only be able to claim what was in writing.

Ask the contractor to revise the estimate with ALL discussed options included and outlined. If they do so willingly, then it's a relatively safe bet that the contractor is honest and trustworthy. If they whine and complain about it and/or flat out refuse, then this is a HUGE indicator that you need to run from them like your hair was on fire. Above all, trust your gut instincts.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I'm having my bathroom totally gutted and redone. I received an estimate with only half of the jobs we discussed on the estimate. When called on it they said oh, it includes everything start to finish. Shouldn't I expect EVERYTHING to be in writing of the work we want done? My other estimates were more detailed. Am I being paranoid?
    Howdy, itemized estimates lets both the homeowner and the contractor know what is being done, how much and at what cost. If there are items not included in the estimate and you want to use this contractor i suggest you list all the items and attach the list to the estimate and note above you signature that the amended items#1threw... listed are included in the bid and in the bids price. Keep a copy for yourself And provide the list to the contractor and have him initial and date the amended bid & list and provide you a copy with his initialed dated contract before any work is done. This method reduces future misunderstandings.Remember written documents are what courts rely on. Not your verses the contractors word as to what was to be included but not on the document.

Hi there,
    There is a similar discussion going on in the New Homeowners group in Your Home. Check it out, it may help you. http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showt...d=1#post115878.

How is the bathroom remodel coming along?
    _________
    Networx.com
    We provide the latest information on how to fix, renovate, and decorate your house using the least amount of resources for the best value.