+ Reply to Thread

Default Feel wood grain after refinishing floors?

I just had someone pull up carpet and refinish floors in my living/dining area. This is oak.

They also refinished the kitchen and hall which were stained wood which looks to be maple.

It all LOOKS beautiful - no swirls or sanding marks and no lines from the poly application. But when I tried to swiffer it, the swiffer pad kept sticking. So I examined it more closely and I can feel wood grain texture and it is kind of rough. Worse on the oak than the maple.

He used water based poly, no stain. I don't know how many coats. He said he sanded between coats.

Will this grainy texture wear down and become smooth over time? Does it need another coat of poly?

Default Re: Feel wood grain after refinishing floors?

While water based products will raise the grain, sanding between coats should take care of that. A more likely scenario is that all the sanding dust was not removed. Buffing with a buffing screen or 0000 steel-wool should smooth it out.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Would I then need to put on more poly?
    Is this something better done by hand? (which I don't mind doing)
    thanks!

You can rent a unit like a large floor polisher with an extra fine screen or steel-wool pad. If you really want to do it by hand, use a utility knife blade as a scaper. Scraping lightly. Go over the floor and vacuum. Test to make sure it is smooth and Vacuum. Let the dust settle and vacuum. I apply my own floor finish with a brush but I use a tack cloth to wipe off areas as I go. Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter, or discarge to the out side.
    Jack

*** - a utility knife blade sounds like it would take a while. Would a hand (non-electric) sander with some type of super fine grit sandpaper work? Or 0000 steel wool used by hand?

And after smoothing it out, I would need another coat of polyurethane?

Random orbital sander and 220 grit paper would work. Then a thin coat. Personally I can do a floor faster with the utility knife blade, and no sanding dust.
    Jack

Jack - when you say utility knife blade, I'm thinking of those 1" wide blades that are sharp on one edge and have a metal piece on the other so you don't cut yourself. Is that what you mean?

thx!

Sometimes called box cutter blades. You hold one perpendicular to the flooring and lightly scrap. The idea is to crap off the gritty bumps not the to remove the finish.
    Jack

I'm back. What I get on my hands and knees and stick my face up close, what I see is raised grain, not so much bumps from dust. And there are parts that look dry when the light from the window shines across it...as if whatever amount of poly was applied soaked right into the wood.

So I'm prepared to put on another coat of poly. I have a gallon jug of it, a 3" wide brush which I think I'll be pretty comfortable using, plus the pad thing that goes on the mop-looking thing.

Questions for you experts:

I have 150 grit paper - fine enough?
    Would the blade technique work for this purpose?
    What is YOUR technique for application? Do you pour it onto the floor and then spread it?

Appreciate your feedback....