+ Reply to Thread

Default Identification help - Termite or Ant?

There are hundreds of these guys swarming in my backyard near the foundation of my house. I am leaning towards carpenter ant, but would like to be sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Termite 042.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	2759  

Default Re: Identification help - Termite or Ant?

No expert but I was told if it has a small waste it's an ant and if it has a full body it's a termite. In the picture it looks like it has a tiny waste. Grab a couple of samples and take to a pest control place or the county extension office for help.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Howdy, Either is real alarming.
    I found a great Borax product, saw on renovation nation. It is easy on environment and hard on pest bugs. You can apply it your self that will kill either. Then on another show saw how they apply it about 3 foot up or in on the wood framing inside and out. Plus a very reasonable web site from which i bout the 5 gallon bucket. It works great in my weed sprayer.Using warm water helps it dissolve great and i see no reside film.. Consider it for those bugs.

http://www.pest-control-supplies.com/timshop.htm

Smile Re: Identification help - Termite or Ant?

http://www.hsipestcontrol.com/about/about.htm

i would say ant. termite has 2 body parts. ant 3.

we used to get these in the spring when we first bought our house.

I put dish soap in a spray bottle with water and walk around the foundation of the house until i found the ant highway. found where they were coming into the house sprayed it. sprayed everywhere i thought they might be able to get in. patched some cracks in the foundation.

all is well now 3 year in. not one sing of ants this year.

if all else fails. buy a dog. they eat the ants before the wife sees them. :-)

That's an interesting solution - I didn't know that dish soap would have much of an effect on bugs.

I found a website that may help you find the right information to identify the insects and get rid of your bugs (Termites: Facts, Identification & Control): orkin.com

You can always call the company new york pest control. They're really good at dealing with any sort of infestation and bed bugs new york too.

Good Luck!

KG

Quote Originally Posted by Tanked View Post
    http://www.hsipestcontrol.com/about/about.htm

I put dish soap in a spray bottle with water and walk around the foundation of the house until i found the ant highway. found where they were coming into the house sprayed it. sprayed everywhere i thought they might be able to get in. patched some cracks in the foundation.

Beastiekeith: By now you are likely an armchair entomologist, or at least a termite
    subject-matter-expert. However, as a postscript to what you have learned about segmented bodies, wing configuration, and antenna geometry, and for the benefit of those readers that follow, incident to the first confirmed sighting, consider hiring a professional termite and pest management company. My old house has had termites, and as many readers know, they are extremely destructive and, consequently, expensive pest. A good company provides routine inspections, implements preventative measures (which might include baiting systems and pretreatment), and they provide follow-up treatment if necessary. I have a program in place, and I have 'pest control' peace-of-mind. A company representative routinely calls me, sets up an appointment, throughly inspect the appropriate areas (most importantly, a dirt ground level crawl space), and they document their findings by providing me with a written report. And if there were to be any signs of activity, they'll retreat the property.
    Last edited by SigmundFraudOrg; 10-21-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: amendment
    Hidden Content // Editor-in-chief

I'm at the end of my rope!!! I live in New York where there's been a raging bed bug problem. Now I have fallen victim to said problem or something similar. I get bitten on my legs every night and never feel any pain until I wake up and find multiple bites. While my Dad was visiting I slept in the other room and didn't get bitten. Interestingly, neither did my Dad or my friend while sleeping several nights in the infested bed!!!Can anyone recommend an ultrasonic repellent that REAllY works? Help!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    No expert but I was told if it has a small waste it's an ant and if it has a full body it's a termite. In the picture it looks like it has a tiny waste. Grab a couple of samples and take to a pest control place or the county extension office for help.
    Jack
    Jack, That's waist, not waste. When I read your post I thought you wanted them to take a stool sample to the exterminator :-)
    "Lead by Example"