+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile need advice: recip, jig, or sawsall?

A thousand apologies for my ignorance. I have spent 40 yrs doing ALL work with a hacksaw, including compound miter joints by eye. But in demolishing part of a sham kitchen cabinet I've run out of steam and think I need a power saw. I just don't know what the difference is between a reciprocating saw, a jigsaw, and a sawsall. I think the latter two are the same thing. But what are the common uses of these types of saws so I can make a good decision? Circular saws are just too hard for me to handle and I resort to hacksaw (which makes awesomely smooth thin cuts) or regular short saw. Thanks

Default Re: need advice: recip, jig, or sawsall?

Howdy, my sawsall is best tool i ever got. It will cut almost anything. Dirrerent blades and i use it instead of the other two saws you mentioned. At menards i got a new bosh that even has a light and quick release bade for about $80 after using my milwaukee for 20+ years it finally gave up the gost.

A reciprocating saw and a Sawzall are the same thing, Sawzall is just a tool name (Milwaukee ). These are used primarily for demolition and crude cutting jobs.

A jigsaw is a wood working tool used for cutting scroll work on flat material. While it's not really a precision cutting tool either, it is not a demolition tool.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Reciprocating saw sometimes called a sawzall a multitude of blades available for cutting wood or metal and combo blades for demolition that cuts wood and nails. Used primarily for rough cutting and demolition.

Jig saw blades available include wood and metal cutting blades. Can be used for straight cutting and limited scroll cutting usually wood less than 1" in thickness. Metal cutting of metal sheeting, copper tubing and some pipe. Primary use is wood working.

In my experience you will find a lot more uses for a reciprocating saw than a jig saw.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 09-04-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Smile Re: need advice: recip, jig, or sawsall?

Would have thanked you all earlier. Would have followed advice of recip saw. Instead, dog broke my arm. Recip saw will wait until next year but my thousand thanks I send to you now for discriptive info and advice. Thank you Thank you Thank you ...

I feel I have to take exception to the reply filed by Jack. The tool he( and many others) refer to as a jig saw should more properly referred to as a saber saw.A true jig saw is a bench mounted saw, none, for some reason called a scroll saw.A jig saw is indeed an accurate and precise machine. Do you know of an alternative method of making jig saws puzzles, intarsia and marquetry work?

Watch the video on this web site, its all done with a hacksaw and no person. What a great demonstration web site they have for the product.

http://www.pro-fitmouldings.com/
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by tatemre View Post
    I feel I have to take exception to the reply filed by Jack. The tool he( and many others) refer to as a jig saw should more properly referred to as a saber saw.A true jig saw is a bench mounted saw, none, for some reason called a scroll saw.A jig saw is indeed an accurate and precise machine. Do you know of an alternative method of making jig saws puzzles, intarsia and marquetry work?
    I would have to take exception to your exception. Saber saw and reciprocating saw or "sawzall" have been interchangeable names for the same implement, with the occasional jigsaw/saber interchange, while a scroll saw has always been a scroll saw, at least in my half century on this planet. I would assume that the powered scroll saw you're referring to lends its name from the large hooped hand operated scroll saw of my father and grandfathers era. The hand operated saws are still used today, of course, just not as readily as the power tools in question.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 12-20-2009 at 08:54 PM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Watch the video on this web site, its all done with a hacksaw and no person. What a great demonstration web site they have for the product.

http://www.pro-fitmouldings.com/
    Hey Gizmo,

How did you find this product? All I can say is why didn't I think of that. Did you see the bullnose corners? Where have these guys been? Thanks for the link!

Jig saw! Saber saw! Potato, pototo, or potatoe if your George Bush! I'm waiting for someone to invent a power cordless coping saw. Small, lite, maneuverable. I've been coping moulding for years by hand, but it sure would be nice to have some power when you need to cope a bunch of 5 1/2" oak crown! Don't know if links are allowed here, but http://toolbatt.com is giving away a 12v dewalt drill if anyone wants to enter.

-earl