+ Reply to Thread

Question Leaky dishwasher air gap.

All of a sudden when running the dishwasher, water started coming out of the air gap. Of course I blamed my husband, who had started the dishwasher. Next time it did the same thing, so he cleaned out the air gap, and replaced the hose to the garbage disposal. Nothing helps. It's not alot of water, but enough to run down onto the hardwood floor. Any ideas?

Default Re: Leaky dishwasher air gap.

Pull the chrome cap off the air gap. There is a plastic cap that may be loose, allowing for the spillage. Next, was disposal replaced recently? It's not uncommon for DIY'ers to forget to knock the plug out before attaching the discharge hose to it. Another common problem is food particles from using the disposal will lodge in the dishwasher inlet. Remove the discharge hose and clean out the inlet on the disposal.

Oh, an don't blame this on your husband or he's likely not to help out in the kitchen anymore.

Talking Re: Leaky dishwasher air gap.

Thanks A. Spruce. We will give it a try.
    Dale Drisko

Report back your findings. Add more clues if the problem doesn't resolve.

Thanks

i would remove that device altogether,in most states this air gap is no longer required(for reasons you state)check with your local plumbing dept.it is very easy to remove,just disconnect from under sink and connect hose to disposal,it is important to raise the rubber hose as high as possible before going into disposal

p:s u can add a soap dispencer onto the sink to fill the hole left from the air gap or simply fill w/a standard cock hole cover