+ Reply to Thread

Default Double Door question

Hello,

I have double doors that I want to replace. Can the existing double door (80"x 72") be replaced with two single doors (80"x 36")? Or do we have to buy a double prehung door?

Thanks!

Default Re: Double Door question

well that depends. Are you replacing just the doors and leaving the jambs in place? Then yes you can just get the doors, cut the mortises for the jambs and drill for the knobs. If you want to replace the jambs too you would be better off buying a prehung double unit. Otherwise if you bought two single units you would have to put additional framing in the middle of the opening witch would make your rough openings smaller so you would have to get smaller doors. Hope this helps you out.

rsharma,

It depends. If the two single replacement doors are made of wood (allowing you to alter the dimension and the fit a bit if necessary)....then it can likely be done that way. (You would buy doors with no borings for latches or mortises for hinges). You will have to add an astragal to the "fixed door", of course, for the primary door to close and seal against..........and you'll need to add the appropriate weatherstripping for that also. You'd also have to acquire and mount all the appropriate hardware if what's there now can't/won't be used.

Bottome line...... yes,it can be done. But....... retrofitting a pair of doors to an existing jamb is not the type of task that would usually be considered as a DIYer job...... unless you're a VERY accomplished DIYer with all the appropriate tools and skills. (Heck.......the average "pro" carp doesn't know how to do the job these days. It's more or less become a "lost art" since the advent of the prehung door.) If you should attempt it and fail......all of the time and money is down the drain.....or you live with a botched job that's leaky.

If it's metal-clad or fiberglass doors you're wanting/contemplating......then I'd definitely encourage you to buy a prehung unit.....period.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 09-29-2007 at 11:25 PM.

i have a double door with door closer both of them. one door has this long metal stop and some time when this door close first, one door is on top of the other one. is there any hardware device to make close one door first and then the other one later?

Quote Originally Posted by valerianod1 View Post
    i have a double door with door closer both of them. one door has this long metal stop and some time when this door close first, one door is on top of the other one. is there any hardware device to make close one door first and then the other one later?
    You should be able to adjust the closer's rate of travel, thus allowing the proper door to close first and the second door to nest in it's place properly.

As was said earlier, you can replace the door slabs only if you are going to maintain the existing jamb, otherwise, buying a prehung set will be cheaper and easier to deal with.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thanks, I'll try to adjust the door closer. some one told me that there is an extra device the you install in the center of the top of the door jam, and this will make one door close first all the time and then the other one

Default Re: PTAC amana

I have amana PTAC PTH153B50AM 30 amp 220V.Is there a maximum high to install this unit? my boss wants me to install it at 5 feet high.
    I saw all of this kind of unit installed always close to the floor like 6 inches high. I didn't see in the manual of installation the high required. please if is at the bottom, would you explained why?
    thank you!