+ Reply to Thread

Post Re-plumbing slab pipes with PEX in attic

I have a ranch house built on a slab. Recently I've detected what I think is a leaking water pipe under the slab. This has been confirmed by a plumber. I shudder at the thought of cutting my slab to fix a leak, only to find there is another leak someplace else. My questions are these:

Is there a safe and recommended way for me to re-plumb my house using PEX running across attic and down interior walls?

How do I best insulate the PEX? Can I use heater tape on PEX?

Can the PEX be placed inside of a containment system (like a sewer pipe) that would direct water away from the house in the event that break should occur?

Smile Re: Re-plumbing slab pipes with PEX in attic

I also am on a slab & going to have the house replumbed. Our plumber recommended going up into attic & dropping down into the walls.
    I am still researching the use of PEX and so far feel safer using it. The purchase price is lower then copper, the ease & speed of installation time is cut in half. There are less joints involved to leak & no one should be in my attic using a torch to heat up the joints. In the last few years there have been houses & apartments in our area tht caught on fire due to plumbers.
    There are red lines for hot water & blue lines for cold leaving no guess work for any future plumbing jobs.
    If you come up w/ any new info please post.

Default Re: Re-plumbing slab pipes with PEX in attic

The challanges you face are, the fire cats that are nailed in the wall, they are boards installed horizontally, you may have to cut out sheetrock to get to them & drill holes for the pex & run them down the wall, if you could do multiple places from 1 wall, the better off you will be.

It is gonna be a mess, believe you me, holes in walls in multiple places to patch, my friend did his lodge but he did it from underneath, he dug it all out & replumbed 6000 sq ft, filled the crawl space he made under concrete with concrete after new plumbing was installed, what a mess it was.

i will be a plumber and gas engineer so will be needing tools for this line of work whats the best tool to use ? Makita

If its in your garden and you want it to look good then i think a circular woven edging may do the trick. The material to use all depends on what is available. Willow twigs are the most obvious as they are so pliable.ryobi tools

Red face Re: Re-plumbing slab pipes with PEX in attic

hey; i need to know more before help you out
    it seems you have told like half of the case!!!
    if i suggest something and that goes wrong; so who is responsible;
    i better keep my advice to myself until and unless you tell me the whole story
    I believe: "Never give up" Deal in: Hidden Content :Katy Jhonson

I really did nt know much about plumbing and all that unless my teacher asked me to write custom essays on plumbing slab pipes, then i got to know how difficult it is to construct a house and do all the plumbing work. I would congratulate you on discussing such a unique topic.

Yes, pex is your best choice. It will not burst when frozen, [ I should have said "it is least likely to burst when frozen"]so I don't think containment is an issue. We only used 4" pvc for containment one time in a library over the special collections. You can use standard Armaflex type foam insulation that slides over the tube, and pre-slit self adhesive for areas where it can not slide over. Polyethylene foam insulation is much cheaper, but not a good. You can use heat tracing on pex, just follow the instructions fully. I would use the commercial type not the short homeowner type if you are running a long distance. I would recommend the Chromolox Saf T Wrap self-regulating, such as sold at Johnstone Supply in 150 foot spools.
    Last edited by ZZZ; 09-26-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    "Lead by Example"

Pex is a great way to go. The Pex tool kit is about $150 and the materials and fittings are easily available but Pex will freeze and burst the pipe. We bought a bank owned/abandoned house completely plumbed with Pex two years ago to flip and I fixed 16 leaks - about half were at the joints but the other half were in the Pex itself, so it will burst contrary to popular opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptTCB View Post
    Pex is a great way to go. The Pex tool kit is about $150 and the materials and fittings are easily available but Pex will freeze and burst the pipe. We bought a bank owned/abandoned house completely plumbed with Pex two years ago to flip and I fixed 16 leaks - about half were at the joints but the other half were in the Pex itself, so it will burst contrary to popular opinion.
    It sounds more like the old polybutylene tubing than PEX, it was notorious for leaking. I have a garden shed plumbed with PEX and it freezes several times a year without any leaks.
    "Lead by Example"