My house has a oil burner for steam heat with radiators. According to the technician it needs to be replaced. It seems that there are several chambers in the unit and a hole between two because of corrosion etc.. He took the lid off and showed me inside and yep, I see lots of rust. It's a Burnham model from 2001 or so. According to the customer representative modifications made to it to comply with NJ environmental laws made it susceptible to corrosion and an early death. The proposal is for something like $7000. Does that sound reasonable?
The part of this that worries me is that it vents via the chimney. He's telling me that the chimney would require an inspection and that existing NJ law requires a sleeve in it. I'm 90% there's no sleve in it. The fireplace is not used. Too shallow to be of much use.
Anyway, The house is 2 floors, plus an attic I can stand up in with lots of headroom and because. Also the basement is above ground which makes for a tall chimney.
Could installing a sleeve be a expensive thing? I'm comfortable with the burner but the sleeve sounds to me like big $$

Any advice?