+ Reply to Thread

Default Paper faced insulation is sweating

I am finishing my below-ground basement. I installed fibergalss batt insulation with a kraft paper vapor barrier. The insulation is sweating between the kraft paper and the fiberglass. I installed it with the vapor barrier facing into the air conditioned basement. The walls are poured concrete and are totally dry. Any help as to what is causing this problem will be greatly appreciated. I live in northern Virginia, just in case that makes a difference.
    Last edited by heronwalker; 07-01-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Left out my home location

Default Re: Paper faced insulation is sweating

Howdy how humid is your basement? Consider installing a dehumidifier to dry out the air.

Thaks for the advice Timothy. I'm going to install a dehumidifier down there. I'm also going to apply some Drylock to the wall, just to make sure there is no moisture in the future.

My mother had the same problem. She is in Maine. The vapor barrier or kraft paper is supposed to be installed toward the warm side of the house. It was installed backward.