+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roof style

Default Roof style

Replacing 4x6 stoop with 8x18 concrete porch. What roof style is the best option for my 25x40'rancher? The existing roof line has a 24" overhang. If we build a reverse gable would the new roof need the same overhang and if yes then should the porch floor stop short of the new overhang? Would a shed roof be in order? Just want the project to look like it belongs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thisoldhouse.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	2757  

Default Re: Roof style

Match the pitch and style roof you have. place the centerline of the gable over the centerline of the door, unless the porch is offset to the door, then center over the porch. You don't necessarily need to match the eave overhang, but it does make things look better and less "grafted on".
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

With tha gable style, should the porch deck be held back two feet from the edge of the roof line?

It's all personal preference. The eave sides can go either way. The gable end I would overhang equal to the rest of the house.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!