+ Reply to Thread

Default Finding drywall screws in a finished wall

Is there a tool or a way to find drywall screws in a finished wall and not tear up the whole wall? I want to back out the screws and insulate a wall to sound proof a room.

Tom

Default Re: Finding drywall screws in a finished wall

Thanks so much for useful info

calcul credit immobilier courtier taux simulation de france pretUne simulation credit immobiler de France a faire un pret.calcul credit immobilier courtier taux simulation de france pret

Tom,

Not to rain on your parade, but I think you'll find trying to salvage and reuse the drywall isn't worth the effort... drywall is cheap. Second, putting insulation in the existing stud cavity isn't going to accomplish anything to reduce sound transmission, because most of it comes directly through the studs anyway - wood is a very good conductor of sound waves... if you truly need a sound-proof room you'll have to a build a second wall with the studs staggered and separate top & bottom plates and then you run rock-wool insulation blankets continuous weaving it through the stud space uninterrupted so that there is no direct transmission through the wall and covered with 2-layers drywall both sides... but then you'll soon discover that the floor is also a good transmitter of sound!

the $9.99 revco drywall screw removal tools are in the hardware store right next to the sky hooks.... A little humor.

Thumbs up Re: Finding drywall screws in a finished wall

Libcarp,

Thanks for the reply. Guess I will abandoned the idea.

Tom

If it wasn't a very good drywall job to begin with, you could darken the room then place a single light at the base of the wall, so that the high/low points in the drywall show up. You just might be able to find most of the screws.

That said, you'll be time ahead to just mercilessly rip it all out and start over fresh. A 4x8 sheet of 1/2" drywall is usually less than 10 bucks. You'll probably end up with a better job, since patching the joints of reused drywall will never look good.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.