+ Reply to Thread

Default Fireplace damaged from remodel...

I am in the process of purchasing a house built in 1918. It got a full remodel in 1968. More recently it was getting another remodel when they ran out of money. Their work was done except cleanup.
    The brick in the fireplace was knocked out to access a vent? from behind. I am wondering if this is something that could simply be repaired, or if it will never be safe again, and I should pony up the money to get an insert. I have attached a picture of the damage. Thanks everybody!

Default Re: Fireplace damaged from remodel...

Howdy consider contacting a chimney sweep for a referral to a fireplace repair company for a bid to repair and a bid to line chim. I would have them scope with camera to see condition of entire chimney before doing any brick repairs to be safe and get best bang for your bucks after knowing the chimenys condition.

Just a guess, but it looks like the broke into the chimney to run a furnace flue. You should have that inspected by a professional. If the flue pipe doesn't run all the way up and out of the chimney you are in danger of the furnace flue gasses cooling and falling back into the house through the fireplace. Carbon monoxide danger. You should never use one chimney for a wood burning fire place and a furnace flue. Adding an efficient insert with a double walled flue pipe may be feasible. But again check with a professional.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Just a guess, but it looks like the broke into the chimney to run a furnace flue. You should have that inspected by a professional. If the flue pipe doesn't run all the way up and out of the chimney you are in danger of the furnace flue gasses cooling and falling back into the house through the fireplace. Carbon monoxide danger. You should never use one chimney for a wood burning fire place and a furnace flue. Adding an efficient insert with a double walled flue pipe may be feasible. But again check with a professional.
    Jack
    What about a gas insert instead? Would that work if they did connect the flue into the same chimney? They did just install a gas furnace so I believe that you are correct as far as what it is. My FHA loan won't go through if it isn't at least finished. I hate to think that the fireplace would need to be decorative but if thats the way it'll have to be then I'll do it that way. So I guess my question is would a gas insert work better in scenario than a wood insert would?

A self contained gas insert will work. It would have a flue pipe and you would only be using the old chimney as a chase. The top of the chimney should be capped with only the furnace flue and gas insert flue protruding through the cap. The cap will help prevent cold downdrafts into the fire place and prevent down drafts of the flue gases. I would still want to check to make sure the furnace flue goes all the way up and out the chimney. Capping the chimney also prevents it from acting like a giant vacuum sucking the warm air out of the house.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 09-02-2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Talking Re: Fireplace damaged from remodel...

Cool, thanks! I am asking the seller if they completed the work and will definitely have the home inspector check it out. Thanks for all your help!