+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I'm going crazy thinking about the lead paint in my house

First, congratulations and we are thankful the daughter is fine.

The inspector made his statement out of typical bureaucratic overkill. If he knows there is a problem there he has to take drastic action to justify his existence. Remember, the more control we give govt, the more they grind us under the heel. Don't involve them if you can avoid it.

The peeling door jambs and trim can be pried off with minimal disturbance, cut with a utility knife along the edge with the wall to prevent tearing. Cut to proper length outside and dispose of into a box or trash bag and set on the curb, spreading this out over several pickups so the trash guy doesn't complain. Install new jambs and trim with safer coatings.

Paint over the walls. As long as the lead is not disturbed, it is not a health issue.

I am also going crazy about this. Two years a go I started to remove paint from a door in my apartment with a hot air gun. I had removed 4th of the dor area and then somehow found out about lead dangers.
    I was not careful at all. and now two years later i have a little baby.
    There are noone who can test my apartment in my country. I dont know what to do.
    I have washed the rooms and vacuumed the walls, washed the curtains, vacuumed the sofa etc... but still I have a feeling my daughter can be poisoned.

Quote Originally Posted by European View Post
    I am also going crazy about this. Two years a go I started to remove paint from a door in my apartment with a hot air gun. I had removed 4th of the dor area and then somehow found out about lead dangers.
    I was not careful at all. and now two years later i have a little baby.
    There are noone who can test my apartment in my country. I dont know what to do.
    I have washed the rooms and vacuumed the walls, washed the curtains, vacuumed the sofa etc... but still I have a feeling my daughter can be poisoned.
    Live and learn.

Read the thread and the links. While the threat of lead poisoning is real, it is highly overblown and the true risks very minimal as long as you do not ingest the lead (eating or breathing dust from sanding). Lead was present in most paints and putties for hundreds of years. Einstein lived when that was the norm, and it apparently didn't have much affect on anyone else either (unless they chewed on the paint) so set your mind at ease; just keep the kids from chewing on the paint, don't sand it, and live happily.

There are far worse things in many of the newer building materials and your house is full of items that make this risk pale in comparison. If you knew and understood that stuff you might end up living in a tent in the woods which would have risks of it's own.

Phil