We are currently renovating our kitchen in an apartment building and noticed that there were bulges in the wall where we were going to be hanging cabinets and tiling a backsplash. We opened up the wall to see if we could flatten them out and discovered the bulge was caused by 2 large pipe joints that extend past the studs.

How are we to get a flat wall? Since we're in a large building, moving those pipes is not an option. I've read elsewhere in this discussion board that you can add furring strips to the studs to get better clearance. Is that a good solution for the entire wall?

Here's an illustration of the problem