+ Reply to Thread

Default Drywall: Pipe joint extends past studs.

We are currently renovating our kitchen in an apartment building and noticed that there were bulges in the wall where we were going to be hanging cabinets and tiling a backsplash. We opened up the wall to see if we could flatten them out and discovered the bulge was caused by 2 large pipe joints that extend past the studs.

How are we to get a flat wall? Since we're in a large building, moving those pipes is not an option. I've read elsewhere in this discussion board that you can add furring strips to the studs to get better clearance. Is that a good solution for the entire wall?

Here's an illustration of the problem

Default Re: Drywall: Pipe joint extends past studs.

It sounds like furring strips will be the fix for your problem. You will need to fur out all studs where the cabinets will hang, from there you'll have a couple of choices.

1. Fur out the entire wall
    2. If need be you can go back to the existing stud plain once past the cabinets and have a visible transition in the wall
    3. "Cheat" and reduce the thickness of the furring strips across several of the studs past the cabinets so that the wall maintains a flat look.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks, we added furring strips and it worked.

Glad it worked out for you. Thank you for posting back your progress.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!