+ Reply to Thread

Default open door cools faster

Howdy two story home using the method of opening windows on lower level and opening windows on upper to cool it. We do have a door in master bedroom when i open it the rate of air movement increases enough that i can feel a breeze. My question is if i close that exterior door and just have the 4 windows open why does the air not move as much? The windows are screened but easily add up to the area of the open door. They open 2' lower then the doors height.
    Is it just that a little higher opening allows the hot air to escape by convection?
    If so then would it not cool better if the upper windows open top glass down verses the norm of bottom up?

Anyone using a solar chimney for cooling home verses windows?

Default Re: open door cools faster

Could be the orientation and layout of the house, could be the window screens, could be any number of things. Our house has absolutely zero air flow, doors open or not. We use 30" box fans in several windows to draw air into and push air out of the house. I have found that it's best to draw air into the house which "pressurizes" the house and forces the hot air out. This way the rooms (primarily bedrooms ) get cooled first.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for commenting. I am amazed the windows are right next to the door but do not allow the air flow like the door. I agree the screens retard some air flow but still curious. Is it the height of the openings that is really impacting the increased air flow.? am going to install a solar chimney to use conduction to allow for passive air flow so i will not need to have the box fans running. Saw one in a solar mag. But was hoping some one with one would comment too.

Unfortunately, I've neither seen nor heard of a solar chimney. I like the idea of it, but am leery that there would be any significant return from such an investment. If my house cold support a whole house fan, I'd install one, but between vaulted ceilings, manufactured home, and zero attic space, it is not something that can be used here. I have contemplated installing an attic fan in the end of the house to vent the living space, similarly to a whole house fan, as I've done in other "trailers", but as of yet have not done it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you have double hung windows Open the bottom sash wide and the top sash about 4 inches. That allows cool air in and the hotter air to exit. Upstairs open the top and bottom sash about the same.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Unfortunately, I've neither seen nor heard of a solar chimney. I like the idea of it, but am leery that there would be any significant return from such an investment. If my house cold support a whole house fan, I'd install one, but between vaulted ceilings, manufactured home, and zero attic space, it is not something that can be used here. I have contemplated installing an attic fan in the end of the house to vent the living space, similarly to a whole house fan, as I've done in other "trailers", but as of yet have not done it.
    Howdy was one in a solar book. It simply was added to the southern exsposure of a masonary chimney. They cut a vent threw roof and made a window box avbove the hole and placed another vent with a venting cap on top of the window box. Wintertime they closed the louvered vent on the attic side - rest of year simply opened it.
    Last edited by Timothy Miller; 09-01-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    If you have double hung windows Open the bottom sash wide and the top sash about 4 inches. That allows cool air in and the hotter air to exit. Upstairs open the top and bottom sash about the same.
    Jack
    Thanks but do not have them.