+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noisy toilet

Question Noisy toilet

My toilet makes strange noises all the time. It sounds like hissing and "sighing". What would cause this and how do I fix it?

Default Re: Noisy toilet

I'm not a plumber but it sounds like it might be the flapper at in the tank. It sounds like water is getting by it some how. It could be worn out or it might not be closing all the way. Hope this helps you out.

Go to your home center and get a fill valve like this http://www.fluidmaster.com/fill_products_400a.html. Replace the fill valve and flapper in your toilet. Also, if it is noisy while filling (after flushing), the water pressure may be a bit too high. Turn the shutoff valve clockwise in quarter turn increments to reduce the water pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by LouA View Post
    Go to your home center and get a fill valve like this http://www.fluidmaster.com/fill_products_400a.html. Replace the fill valve and flapper in your toilet. Also, if it is noisy while filling (after flushing), the water pressure may be a bit too high. Turn the shutoff valve clockwise in quarter turn increments to reduce the water pressure.
    Very late in the thread; but, I just found my answer - water pressure. I have 3 toilets; 2 are fine and 1 in the basement and close to septic sounds like a 747 taking off after flushing. Amazingly enough it's the water pressure; a few quarter cranks to reduce the water pressure did the trick! Thank you so very much!

The noisy toilet that you have had is also the same with me. I am lucky that I read this forum. It sounds true that you are likely heading off like an airbus when you flush it.
    Dave Stack is a huge fan of saving money and using coupons and coupon codes. He operates Hidden Content which has been helping people save money since 2007.