+ Reply to Thread

Default Screen Porch T&G flooring

Designing screen porch and planning to install Ipe T&G flooring. Would prefer using standard width T&G 2 1/4" or so over a 6" decking board.
    My question is on the best way to install it. If I lay a subfloor I could have condensation problems between the layers. (Live in Va) Without additional support the flooring will flex. Do I reduce spacing on the joists?

Thoughts?

Default Re: Screen Porch T&G flooring

I wouldn't ever go over a subfloor if its the_least_bit exposed to the weather!!
    12" OC sounds good to me....better safe than sorry even if you are using 5/4" IPE which would be a rare IMO to ever flex even at 16" OC. Doing 12" OC means what? Adding 2-3 extra floor joists or so? Big deal...it should be a none question.
    I've done 5/4 mahogany over 16" OC with zero issues so 12" will be no problem mon'. Go for it.
    I'd be sure there's some sort of vapor barrier on the ground if its dirt...if its over concrete you should be cool with just that.
    Yer gonna need to pre drill for IPE to set your nails into the boards if you face nail em'.
    I used SS nails in my Porta Nailer manuel nail gun. Same gun I use for hardwood floors and the same method...through the tongue and no pre drilling necessary and no nails showing.I have an extra box if you have the gun and wanna buy the box...expensive nails ..I can tell ya that...and that little box is heavier than it looks. You can't find em' in the store either.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Default Re: Screen Porch T&G flooring

Thanks for the confirmation