+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy a few things....

Well, it's past Valentine's Day, and I have no honey for a honey-do list (just me and my dog, and she wont' do anything but eat rabbits and track in mud!)... but if I did.... I'd ask him to sc**** and touch up the paint around the windows and doors, and fix the front storm door so it'll open again. It's a terrible thing that happened - me with a paintbrush. One of the hinges (big barn-like metal hinges) is painted over and it won't open. The door opens by the doorframe actually moving and it's wrapped with siding stuff.

Any ideas on how to get that hinge cleared and moving again? Should I just pour paint remover on it?

Oh, and move a tree from right next to the house out to the yard.

Default Re: a few things....

I doubt that it's paint that's welded the hinge in place, it's more likely rust. If the pin is removable, then pop the pin. If it is not, then spray it with wd-40 or penetrating oil, lightly tapping it to help break the rust free and allow the oil in.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks, Sprucey - the pin is completely covered with paint and won't move at all, and yes, it's rusty, too. Will the penetrating oil go through the paint or do I need to get the paint off first?
    (and in case you were wondering, yes, I'm an idiot)

Marjorie,
    Chances are if it is a barn hinge the pins a peened on both ends and not removable.If you tap the hinge barrel with a paint chipper and chip off enough paint to reveal the cracks then use WD40, PB Blaster, or penetrating oil.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Marjorie View Post
    (and in case you were wondering, yes, I'm an idiot)
    Somehow I doubt that. Like Jack said, chipping the paint off of the joints so the penetrating oil can get in would be a good thing.

If the hinge is surface mounted, you can remove it rather than try to deal with it on the door. Clean screw heads out with a utility knife before trying to do the screws.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks, fellas! :-)

If i don't get to it one evening this week, it'll be my main project for next weekend.

I can probably manage to get the long metal hinge attachment off the door, but not the doorframe (it's under the siding material). With the one loose, I should be able to get that thing loose enough to move again, one way or another.

Wink Re: a few things....

Marjorie, I agree with A.Spruce and JLMCDANIAL if you do as they say it should work out ok. This job is a good task for a nephew if you have one handy, where a fresh batch of cookies will get the work done for you. Good Luck.

Calcats

Quote Originally Posted by calcats View Post
    This job is a good task for a nephew if you have one handy, where a fresh batch of cookies will get the work done for you. Good Luck.

Calcats
    HEY!!! Nobody said that cookies would be involved! I'd come over and do it for cookies!

Good thinking, CalCat! Nephews and cookies just go together....
    too bad mine are too young or too busy to do that - but maybe I can get Sprucey to help...I bake very good cookies, and some of the best brownies in the universe! (and no,Alice B has nothing to do with my brownies! haha!)

I'm on my way, keep them varmints away from my cookies!